Saturday, July 19, 2008

Janice Faye

I just got off of the phone with my brother, well actually a bit ago, and we had a conversation about our mom and the illness that eventually took her life. I tried to go to bed but couldn't get to sleep, so I thought that I would come write down my thoughts instead.

Ryan and I are very different in many ways, but we are alike in a lot of ways too. When my mom was sick with Scleroderma, I could not bear the thought of talking to her about the inevitable. I did not know when or how she was going to die and honestly I did not even think it would happen when it did. I think that was partly a defense mechanism for me. She never told me that she was dying, and I thank her for that because I think that she knew that I could not handle that. So, subconsciously I don't think that I allowed myself to think that she would succumb to her illness. My job (self-appointed) was to take care of her physically and that I did. I wanted to be the one to care for her, so I took the semester off of college. The last three months of her life were the worst, when she could not even get out of bed to use the bedside potty chair without it taking every ounce of oxygen that she had. It took her 20 minutes for her breathing and oxygenation to recover from just taking two steps to the chair and back to bed. But through all of that I could be there, day in and day out to take care of the physical needs that were overwhelming. I would bathe her, dress her, cook for her, do her hair, her nails, wake up in the middle of the night to make her hot tea with honey and lemon to ease a coughing fit, anything she needed, I tried to provide. We had walkie talkies and she would call any time that she needed something. I think back to those days and don't know how I did it, but I did and I am so thankful for that time with her. I guess nursing has always been a part of who I am! (There were some fun memories through those months, though, like playing Phase 10 every night with Eron and dad and occasionally Ryan and Jen, if they were over, and also making dinner and all of us going back to mom and dad's room to eat because it was so much easier on her. We had some good memories through those times). My brother on the other hand, could go where my dad and I could not. He could have those conversations about how she was truly doing, not physically but spiritually and emotionally. I am so thankful for the fact that he could sit down and have these deep conversations with her because I know she needed to talk with someone in her family about this. So, as we were talking tonight we had a conversation about her outlook on death that we had not had in a while. It reminded me of what an awesome woman of God that she was and what faith and trust that she had in the Lord. I am so proud to have had her as a mom and I am so heartbroken at the same time because there are so many people that I have wanted to introduce her to in the past almost six years since her death. Everyone loved this woman, she was so special and I am also sad sometimes because I don't think that I really knew and understood what kind of woman she truly was. I was 21 when she passed and I think that is still young and there was so much learning to still be done. I mean I knew her as my mom and I knew how much she was loved by everyone but I will never know her as woman that I am now and I will never know her as the grandmother to my children or the mother-in-law to my husband and that makes me so terribly sad. I am scared that one day I will not remember her voice. It is like I am reaching into memories to hear her and I can't seem to find her voice. I don't ever want to forget her voice. That may not make sense but I am not sure how else to explain it. I guess I just always want to remember her????

Getting back to Ryan and I, I am thankful that all of her needs were met by her family and I am thankful that Ryan could go there with her. She told him that she was never scared about dying that she was ready and at peace with it. She was not mad at God but mentioned that she did not understand but was never mad. Ryan said that the only two times that she cried when talking with him about it was when she said that she did not want my dad to be alone and that she was sad about not knowing her grandchildren. That just amazes me, I am so proud of her faith! She was so faithful and such an incredible christian woman. She never complained about her illness and the effect that it was having on her life. In the hospital room when her terrific doc told her that she only had about a day and a half to live she had one tear that streamed down her face. She was so ready and I am thankful that her heart and mind were in the right place.

Like I said we had had this conversation before but again tonight as we were talking about it, it made me sad yet it also gave me some peace over her being gone. I am so sad and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about her and how much I miss her and how much I wish Harper and Elle and Renner knew her, but yet I can be at peace that she was at peace and she was ok with going home to the Lord. We all miss her and my dad will never be the same without her but she is with the Lord now and I am so thankful for that! Everyone says that with time things get better, that is somewhat true, with time you learn to deal and get used to not having that person, yet with time comes all of the years of my life that I will not have to share with her.
The truth of the matter is that she is in a better place and she is whole again and not sick, but when you are suffering a loss that is the last thing that you want to hear from someone. So, for future reference, if you are ever confronted with a situation in which someone has lost someone try your best to stay away from those cliche statements. Yes, she may be in a better place but at that moment that does not make most people feel better. It is purely selfish feelings, I know, but I do know that she is better off with the Lord than here. I think that one thing that gets me through times when I am feeling sad is knowing the promise that eternal life brings us. It is so much better in Heaven that even if she had the choice to return here and enjoy the things that she is missing out on, that she would choose to stay because it is so awesome and we cannot even fathom it right now.

Twenty one years is not a long time to have with someone but I am thankful for all of the years that I did have with her. I am thankful for the mother that she was to me and Ryan and the wife that she was to my dad, because Lord knows he needed a very special woman to put up with his quirkiness, oh my! She will always be missed but she has left us with so many memories and family traditions that forgetting her love will be impossible. I love my mother and I am so so proud of her and I know one day we will meet again, what a blessed day! Thank you Lord for the blessing she was and will always be in our lives!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you, girl. Beautiful writing! Just try to remember her laugh. I can distinctly hear it in my ears. It's beautiful.
Once again I'll tell you that she would be so proud of you. She was so thankful for the care you gave her. I know that for a fact.
Love you,
jennifer

Anonymous said...

Without question, you are who you are because of your mom. Because of that, she lives on in you! You have her beauty and her heart. (I'm just glad you didn't get your dad's looks.)

I'm so proud of you and glad that I had the privilege of knowing your mom.

You guys are AWESOME!

Bruce Troy

Anonymous said...

Your mom was at my side when my mother died. She just sat beside me and didn't say a word. She is the only person I remember in those tough days 21 years ago. Your mom was an awesome friend. She was there for me when I needed her. I loved her and love you, Shelley. Your mom would be very proud of you.
Love you,
Paula Jeser

Unknown said...

Wow, that was powerful Shelley! The best ever times of my life were spent when the Cliffords & Rosses got together. We would laugh until we were sick. I miss her so much and the older I get the more I want her back, and I know that is selfish. I never have opened up to anyone but Jan and believe it or not I haven't since she left and I am suffering. She was the closest friend I ever had. Even still, Thanksgiving and Christmas are not the same. As I told your Dad when we left Krista's wedding, "Two things Rodney; I wish Jan were here and I wish I were here", and I'm sure you understand me. I have no one to do "grandma" talk with. Love you Shelley!

Sherah said...

Shelley, oh how I wish I got to meet your mom! I see the woman you are and I know that your mom must have been just amazing!

I know that becoming a mom for me has opened my eyes to my mom differently then I could have ever imagined. I am sure you miss her all the time. My heart hurts for you.

I love you and miss you!

Unknown said...

Shelley,
Thank you for sharing these precious memories with those of us who have loved Jan, Rod, Ryan & you and Eron, Jennifer, Elle, Renner & Harper FAYE.
Your mom loved you & Ryan more than a 1,000 words can express, and she loved our entire family & all she met.
She is missed by many.
Love
Ron & family

Anonymous said...

MY DEAR DEAR SHELLEY'
HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU AND ERON, JENNIFER AND RYAN, AND ELLESON,RENNER AND HARPER. WHAT BEATIFUL JOB OF WRITING YOU DID. IT WAS HARD TO READ WHAT YOU WROTE. I CRIED SO HARD THAT PEOPLE IN THE OFFICE WANTED TO KNOW IF I WAS OK. TIM CAME IN AND SAID"ARE YOU ALRIGHT". I COULD ONLY SHAKE MY HEAD NO AND HAND HIM A COPY OF WHAT YOU WROTE. I TRULY BELIEVE THAT IT WAS HARDER TO RELIVE THEOSE MONTHS THAN ACCTUALLY GO THROUGH THEM.
YOU WILL NEVER KNOW HOW COMFORTING IT WAS TO GO IN THE HOUSE AND KNOW THAT YOU WERE THERE OR WOULD BE THERE (AFTER MOM DIED(. WE GOT THROUGH IT TOGETHER. GOD BLESSED ME WITH THE 4 OF YOU (PRE GRANDCHILDREN). MOM LEFT ME WITH HER LOVE AND MEMORIES. THOSE MEMORIES ARE RE-INFORCED WITH RYAN, JEN,YOU, ERON,ELLESON.RENNER AND HARPER AND ??????? WHAT A WONDERFUL GRAANDMA JAN WOULD HAVE BEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!I AM SO PROUD TO HAVE YOU AS MY DAUGHTER. MOM WOULD HAVE SO PROUD OF YOU.
I AM SO HAPPY THAT RYAN WAS ABLE TO TALK TO MOM ABOUT THE THINGS YOU AND I AVOIDED. RYAN IS SO SPECIAL TO ME AND I DON'T EVER WANT YOU TO THINK THAT I LOVE YOU MORE THAN HIM. AFTER 10-17-02 MY RELATIONSHIP WITH YOU CHANGED UNBELIEVABLY. I GUESS GOD MADE YOU REALIZE THAT I NEEDED SOMEONE TO TAKE CARE OF ME. WHAT A WONDERFUL JOB YOU HAVE DONE.
WHEN RYAN FOUND OUT THAT YOU ALL WERE MOVING TO FLORIDA HE CALLED ME AND SAID "DAD, I CAN'T TAKE SHELLEY'S PLACE". I APPRECIATED THAT, BECAUSE HE COULDN'T. YOU ALSO CANNOT TAKE HIS PLACE. MOM WOULD BE SO HAPPY THAT YOU ARE CLOSE TO CHERYL AND HER FAMILY. SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE SHE DIED SHE ASKED ME TO"PLEASE DON'T LET MY KIDS FORGET MY FAMILY". WELL YOU HAVEN'T AND CHERYL WOULD NEVER LET YOU. WHAT A WONDERFUL FLORIDA FAMILY WE HAVE (THAT INCLUDES EVERYONE).

SHELLEY, I HOPE YOU REMEMBER THE TALK I HAD WITH YOU BEFORE YOU MARRIED. I TOLD YOU TO TAKE YOUR WEDDING VOWS SERIOUSLY. THERE'S A PART IN THER THAT REFERS TO "IN SICKNESS AND HEALTH". I SAID I DO TO THOSE WORDS THINKING IT WOULD BE IN OUR 70'S OR 80'S. I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THOSE VOWS UNTIL AFTER MOM DIED, BUT I FEEL PRIVELAGED TO HAVE KEPT MY VOWS.
WELL SHELLEY, THOSE ARE MY THOUGHTS. I RAMBLED AS I WROTE. THINGS MAY NOT FLOW CORRECTLY, BUT I WROTE AS I THOUGHT. I AM NOT GOING TO PROOF THIS BECAUSE THESE WERE MY THOUHTS AS I WROTE.

I LOVE YOU (THANK GOD FOR YOU)

DAD.

Anonymous said...

Shelley,

My emotions are overflowing and my heart is filled withjoy as I read the words you shared about your mom. I will always remember how your mom handled the hard times of her life. And even in these most difficult times, she was teaching life lessons to us by how she lived. Some of my best "life lessons" are learned in the past by rethinking and reliving things I did years before. Your mom talked often to me about the process of dying and how she did not fear death but she feared was what would happen to you, Ryan, and your dad. What a great blessing I receieved when reading your words because that was affirmation that her fears have been relieved knowing how you are coping and living your life trusting in God as she did both in good times and in bad. Please know that your words have truly touched my heart and will serve as a great encouragement to many.

Rob Boyd

Anonymous said...

Miss Shelley!

Let me just say, your Dad told me to read this last night (we were at Steve Jones bday dinner). I was so excited because he told me it was about your mom, who I was never fortunate enough to meet.

I feel so blessed to have read your sweet meaningful words this morning. I read them aloud to Shelby, very brokenly I might add. He was telling me how special your mom was, how loved and respected she was. He remembers your mom having a soft and gentle voice; unlike any other.
Thank you for sharing all your heartfelt thoughts~your advise to those of us who haven't gone through a loss of a parent, yet.

I haven't been through what you have but I can say motherhood has changed my whole perspective on life! I guarantee you will continue to see your mom in Harper and in yourself when you least expect it~the Lord works in mysterious ways my friend.

Many Blessings and lots of love,
Shelby, Erica & Savannah Sawyer

Anonymous said...

Shelley,
What can I say? Your father had me go to your blog(which I didn't know you had) to read about your mother. What a wonderful tribute to her! You definately have a heart like hers. As you grow into being a great mom for your daughter, you will someday say, "I'm starting to sound just like my mom", or "now I understand what mom meant when she did this or said that". When this happens, be sure to look into the heavens so your mother can smile upon you! She would be so proud to know a part of her has rubbed off on you. I know her legacy will be passed on by you and Ryan through what she and your father have taught you as children. And then, your children will do the same, therefore Jan will live on (not only in your hearts, but in your actions as well)!

It is odd that I am reading this tonight. I would be celebrating a 37th wedding anniversary today if John was still alive. I can relate with you about wanting to remember your mother's voice. I too have that fear, and just about every day I bring John's voice to my mind. I can still hear him! I truly believe you will never forget your mother's voice either! I can still remember her laugh, smile, and her beauty that shone throughout her life.

I remember years back, before I moved away from El Paso, your mother and I would speed walk every day before work. We had some heart to heart talks and she would shared with me about her sickness. We knew our walks would soon be a day to day decission. Not knowing the full realm of her sickness, she would share about the tests, treatments and trips she had to take. It was always a prayer request, and yes, she was very concerned about you, Ryan and your father. Her desire would be to first see Ryan graduate from HS, and then it was to see you graduate from HS. I know living from one special event to another gave her more determination to keep going. So, my dear, not only did she inspire you two, you inspired her as well! Numerous times she would bragg on all of you.

All of this to say,
Your mother will not be forgotten, her zeal for life will continue to inspire those who knew her, and she will be waiting at the gates of Heaven to greet all of those she so dearly loved here on earth! "Oh, What a day that will be!"
You and your family are loved!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelley,
I don't think that we've ever met, but I've heard your voice on the phone several times, and I've known your Dad since he was a teenager. Unfortunately, I only met your Mom one time. We did send email for a while, several years after she was diagnosed. However, I know what a wonderful and special woman of God she was, what a wonderful wife she was, and also what an incredible Mom she was. She told me in the emails how blessed she was to have you, Ryan and Rodney, and a vast, lovingly supportive network of friends.

Rodney (who, over the years, appeared to be suffering from email phobia) called me, told me he wanted me to read your blog, and sent me the link. I knew then it was something special.

What a remarkable piece of writing. The love and emotions that run in your family are very deep. And what a wonderful thing that is. I understand some of what you expressed because I lost my Mom three years ago. It still doesn't seem real. She was my best friend. We always knew, even over great distances, when something was wrong with the other. You will remember her forever, and her memory will be there with you for the rest of your life. Without warning, she'll come back to you in a thought, picture, smell, touch or an emotion; she'll never leave. I can tell through your writing that you will continue her legacy of love, faith, determination, and selflessness so that it, too, touches as many lives as I understand Jan's did.

She is in you forever.

Love, Deb

Anonymous said...

Shelley, It takes a lot for me to get emotional. But what you wrote about Jan brought all my memories about her flooding back! I had to walk away from the laptop and compose myself before I could return to finish reading. Jan was a very beautiful woman! And a very patient woman to put up with your dad! But she loved him unconditionally. I was telling your dad about the times that I would fly home to play golf with the old men, and how important it was for me to visit your mom every time I flew out there. We too had some deep conversations about her illness and being o.k. with dying. We shared laughs and tears together. Jan was a great listener for me when I was going through my separation with Ali. I tell you I have never met a stronger woman than your mother.

There was one thing that I promised her I would do for her before she died, and that was to fly to Alaska for the day. Nothing packed but an empty jelly jar to fill with "Alaskan dirt" and bring back to her. That way she could say that she has set foot on all 50 states. I never got the time or chance to do that. Now I have that opportunity again, and you better believe that I will pack that jelly jar and fill it up for her. Those visits I had with her I wouldn't trade for the world. WOW! What a wonderful woman! And so are you. Take care!
Love,
Mike & Kelly