Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Florida Strawberry Festival!

We have heard many things about the infamous Strawberry Festival in Plant City, Florida since we moved here. So, today our family joined another couple at the festival to see what it was all about! Let me just say, I felt like I was in fair food heaven! I dedicate this article to my friend Sherah because she and I always looked forward to the Roosevelt County Fair in Portales every year because we couldn't wait to eat fair food! Well this was not a county fair but it might as well have been! Obviously the theme was strawberries (my fav fruit) because that is what Plant City is known for. However, this place had sooooo many food vendors it was ridiculous that I didn't even know where to start. I mean they had everything you could think of! From fried pickles and fried sweet potatoes to fried twinkies, BBQ, turkey legs, cowboy tators (as we knew it in NM), sausage, boiled peanuts, fried catfish, chicken on a stick, fried shrimp on a stick, I mean I really could go on and on but I'll stop. So all these choices that we had and I picked a dumb polish sausage with peppers and onions, how boring. I think that I was overwhelmed. There was also plenty of sweet tea to go around. After that we had a strawberry shortcake and then I think my new favorite item at events like this, elephant ears! This was the first time that I had ever heard of it! For those who are unfamiliar with this, it is a piece of dough that is fried and then loaded with melted butter and then cinnamon and sugar and a touch of powdered sugar! Oh my gosh, it was sinful! Well, needless to say the event was full of fun, food and plenty of trashy people to go around, just how I like it sometimes! Harper and Eron had fun too, but didn't enjoy the food selection as much as I did! In order to fit in with all the trashy people around, I did something that I never thought I would do as a mother....I changed Harper's diaper right smack dab in the middle of the festival! Oh my gosh, I really cant believe I did it. I did do it in her car seat, but still! I honestly did not want to go find a bathroom in the midst of the thousands of people just to find I am sure that they would not have a changing station. So, yep I did it, oh well! Well I promise to put up pictures this week. We had a blast at our first ever Florida Strawberry Festival!

4 comments:

Sherah said...

Oh gosh... it's almost 1am and I am CRAVING fair food now!!! Thanks a lot! Wish i could have been there, we would have really enjoyed that food together!

Shelley! I can't believe you stooped to those levels... you trashy person you. :-) I'm sure I would have done the same thing. lol, even if you did find a bathroom it would have been skanky, so your better off in the car seat.

love you tons and miss you!

Sherah said...

how strange... I left that comment at 12:52 am on March 3rd... the date thing is way off.

Mom Souder said...

Enjoyed talking to you last night, Shelley. Look forward to seeing you soon,now that you have come to your senses and moved to central Florida!
Hopefully, we can do Easter together.
Love, Karen

Mom Souder said...

Hey Shelley

Please e-mail me your e-mail address. Mine is momsouder@bellsouth.net I must have written yours down wrong. Have you thought about Easter? Just let me know. Have a great weekend.